Sunday, January 20, 2013

Bared to You by Sylvia Day


Bared to you(Crossfire #1)  by Sylvia Day

Book Name: Bared to you(Crossfire #1)

Author Name: Sylvia Day

Genre: Erotica, Contemporary, Adult Content( Recommended to 18 years and above)

Publisher: Berkley Trade

My Rating: 5 stars

“Full of emotional angst, scorching love scenes, and a compelling storyline.”—Dear Author THE NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER

Gideon Cross came into my life like lightning in the darkness… He was beautiful and brilliant, jagged and white-hot. I was drawn to him as I’d never been to anything or anyone in my life. I craved his touch like a drug, even knowing it would weaken me. I was flawed and damaged, and he opened those cracks in me so easily…

Gideon knew. He had demons of his own. And we would become the mirrors that reflected each other’s most private wounds…and desires.The bonds of his love transformed me, even as I prayed that the torment of our pasts didn't tear us apart...

                                 
                                               My Review                                                

Incredible book.  So I see a lot of people comparing this book to Fifty Shades and honestly I can see the Similar themes, but in my opinion only on a basic level. This book isn't as witty as 50 Shades, but it's almost as interesting. I probably can put about a hundred similarities and dissimilarities between the books, but it would not be fair to either of them.

Eva Tramell. Eva is a 24 year old girl who comes from money but wants to make it on her own in the world. She has recently moved to New York and just started working in the Crossfire building owned by the multi-billionaire Gideon Cross. I absolutely loved her. She had a past that would rock you to your souls and yet so down to earth, tough, a 'go getter' and so funny, her humour just cracked me up throughout. Some of her statements were priceless, but the one that stood out for me was

 "Are you kidding?" I scowled. "Listen to yourself. Why even call it a fuck? Why not be clear and call it a seminal emission in a pre-approved orifice"?

Gideon Cross. Gideon is a 20 something multi-billionaire business man who owns a larger part of the New York’s businesses. He’s your typical alpha male who gets what he wants. He’s hot, sexy and knows the effect he has on woman. And that’s exactly how Eva describes him, dark and dangerous.

The story starts with Eva going to her office an evening before she’s supposed to start working when she runs into him literally and thats how they first meet. Its just an instant connection between then. Sparks fly from the first glance. And my heart went to mush when Gideon opens his mouth and says this

Gideon:"Are you sleeping with anyone"?
Eva : "Why is that any business of yours"?
Gideon:"Because I want to fuck you, Eva. I need to know what's standing in my way, if anything"?

 Their relationship is initially based solely on sex, but their connection is so powerful, that they are overwhelmed with the need to be with one another. They both immediately fall for each other and start learning how to love for the first time.

Gideon’s so messed up but he's trying his absolute best to be everything his girl needs him to be. I love how on the outside he's this unobtainable larger-than-life god but on the inside, he's just a man who wants to be loved by his girl. 

"Oh, Eva." He rubbed his cheek against my damp face. "I must've wished for you so hard and so often you had no choice but to come true." 

"What do you want, Gideon?" I asked softly.
He caught me to him and cupped my cheek in one hand. "I want to keep feeling the way I feel when I'm with you. Just tell me what I have to do. And give me some room to screw up. I've never done this before. There's a learning curve." 

“I’ve always seen you, angel. From the moment you found me, I’ve seen nothing but you.”

They both have pasts that could potentially ruin their new found relationship, it’s a wonder how they make their relationship work. But the characters Eva and Gideon are deep and they change and learn through the whole thing.

[This relationship] is going to be a lot of work, Gideon." I warned him.
"I'm not afraid of work." He was touching me restlessly, his hands sliding over my thighs and buttocks as if caressing my bare skin was as necessary to him as breathing. "I'm only afraid of losing you."
I pressed my cheek to his. We completed each other. Even now, as his hands roamed possessively over me, I felt a thawing in my soul, the desperate relief of being held - finally - by the man who understood and satisfied my deepest, most intimate desires."
 

It was very refreshing to see that the author had taken a very realistic approach regarding both the characters. Neither of them were man-whores or virgins before meeting each other.  They had both been in a normal amount of relationships for a couple of mid-twenty year olds.

I also liked the side characters too. Eva's boss Mark and his partner Steven were delightful and fun (makes me wish to have bosses like that too). I also really loved her friend, Cary, he is such a deep character that is clearly hiding a multitude of experiences. We don't get to see much of his past, but you can tell its really heart-breaking. I can't wait to hear more about him. I liked that he was so supportive and loyal to Eva, like a big brother.

"I want there to be happily-ever-afters for the f***ed up crowd. Show me the way, Eva honey. Make me believe." ~Cary 

There was so much emotional depth to this story which is an absolute must for me. I was able to sympathize with the characters- From watching Eva struggle with issues of self-esteem as well as both Eva and Gideon trying to over-come their abusive past. I can tell you without a doubt, that this book made me feel. 

After reading Bared to You, Sylvia Day officially has a new fan! She has a true gift of being able to write not only characters full of depth, but being able to portray relationships in their true form: They’re not always easy and can take hard work and compromise from each person involved to achieve the happy ending that we all look for.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment