Thursday, June 13, 2013

Book Review- Taking Chances by Molly McAdams

Taking Chances by Molly McAdams

Book Name: Taking Chances

Author: Molly McAdams

Genre/Tags: Contemporary Romance

Publisher: William Morrow Paperbacks

My Rating:



Her first year away is turning out to be nearly perfect, but one weekend of giving in to heated passion will change everything.

Eighteen-year-old Harper has grown up under the thumb of her career marine father. Ready to live life her own way and to experience things she's only ever heard of from the jarheads in her father's unit, she's on her way to college at San Diego State University.

Thanks to her new roommate, Harper is introduced to a world of parties, gorgeous guys, family, and emotions. She finds herself being torn in two as she quickly falls in love with both her new boyfriend, Brandon, and her roommate's brother, Chase. Despite their dangerous looks and histories, both men adore Harper and would do anything for her, including taking a step back if it would mean she'd be happy.


                                                         My Review                               


The book started off as a cross between Thoughtless and Beautiful Disaster. That's one helluva literary cocktail. I'll take two! But eventually the story completely evolved into something totally unique. I freaking love love triangles.

“I wanted to have dysfunctional relationships and flings but did that happen? Nope. I felt like Elena from the Vampire Diaries. She has two insanely hot men who are in love with her and would do anything for her. One of which, she would give almost everything to be with, and the other she continues to push away, even though she can't ever actually stay away, so she won't have to admit she was in love with him too. At least my guys weren't brothers. Thank God for that.'
--Harpers inner monologue in 
Taking Chances

TAKING CHANCES follows Harper, an eighteen-year old. She's homeschooled, lives with her father (she calls him 'Sir') on the base, and her best friends are a bunch of young Marines. 

She's basically missed out on everything girls her age should've at least done, and decides to go to college at San Diego State University to escape her controlled life. She quickly befriends her roommate, Breanna or Bree,  a kind-hearted promiscuous girl.

Chase. Harper has a hidden crush on Chase; Breanna's brother. Chase is tall blonde with surfer boy hair and piercing blue eyes. He also has a few tattoos. But the guy is a player. Everytime she sees him he is sporting a new chick on his arm lap or wherever else they can hang off him at. He falls for Harper but doesn’t feel he’s good enough for her. He’s every girl’s wet dream. He's got that come hither look about him and every girl wants him. He's a bad boy to say the least and you can't help but find yourself drawn to him and every page his name is on.

Brandon. I am seriously crushing on this guy. He’s the best of the two worlds. Hot, big badass fighter covered in tatts yet a big softy; gentle caring and the best boyfriend in the whole wide world. He had so many wonderful qualities and is most definitely the type of man any woman would be lucky to have. Not only did he have the looks to kill, but he was also selfless and forgiving. A man who never backed down, even when life knocked him to his knees. Unfortunately though, his honesty and faithfulness was taken advantage of in the worst kind of way. I really respected his character.

I felt myself being pulled back and forth between Chase and Brandon, I couldn't decide at first but I decided on Brandon. Don’t get me wrong, I would forever love Chase and I know if he had remained in the story long enough I would had made him my freaking everything. But, if I have to spend a lifetime with someone, I would prefer it to be Brandon.

After introducing Harper to Chase and Brandon , Harper turns into a party-girl and ends up in a love triangle with Chase and her boyfriend Brandon. A night of lustful passion ends up completely turning Harper's life around.

And then we find out that Harper is... Well she is something and I'm just in shock... So now life as we know it, will never be the same!

I’m sure many of you who have read reviews on this book know that there’s a big jaw-dropping scene that will throw you into a frenzy. The twist which is comes around 50% through the book is SHOCKING, Like seriously.. Its like BAM!
It was heart breaking, left me breathless, I thought I read it wrong till I re-read the page again and I was like WHAT??? NO!!! There has to be some error in my book. I won’t give out much, because the suspense is mad. And I have to admit after reading it and suffering through a complete shock, I pushed through and made myself continue on with the rest of the story And I’m definitely glad that I did because I felt like the ending and everything that happened after that incident really helped to get my mind off of the sheer horribleness of what had happened. I’m all about happy endings, and the author definitely did a good job wrapping the story up in the best way possible after what had happened.

Taking Chances is almost like having two books in one. I felt like I was reading a book that was immediately followed by its sequel. I totally loved that, but it did kind of make the ending drag on. Maybe by that point I was just too emotionally exhausted, but I feel it could have been edited and trimmed down just a bit. Not that I am complaining. This book is so worth it and so very amazing.

A total emotional roller coaster, I cried, I laughed, I blushed, I was shocked and I fell in love with two wonderful guys !

Buy this book at:




3 comments:

  1. Omg, I wanna read it now! Thanks for the awesome review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooohhhh...You should read it. Its amazing! Like I said in my review, TAKING CHANCES is like reading a book and its sequel in the same story. Awesome. You are gonna love Chase and Brandon.

      Delete
    2. I can already tell that I will love em!

      Oh and I am tagging you for the Completed Series Tag! I hope that you can do it. :]

      Here's the link:
      http://beautifulchaptersblog.blogspot.com/2013/06/completed-series-tag.html

      Delete